The American Red Cross is a humanitarian emergency response organization in the U.S. It was founded by Clara Barton in 1881. It is headquartered in Washington, D.C. The organization provides emergency assistance, disaster relief and education within the U.S. It is also known as the American National Red Cross, and is an affiliate of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies. It provides assistance to the victims of war, and to the victims of devastating natural disasters.
Main services that the American Red Cross provides are:
1. Domestic disaster relief.
2. Educational programs that promote health and safety.
3. International relief and development programs.
4. Community services that help the needy.
5. Support and comfort for military members and their families.
6. Collection, processing and distribution of lifesaving blood and blood product