According to 34 CFR 668.142 [Title 34 – Education; Subtitle B -- Regulations of the Offices of the Department of Education; Chapter VI -- Office of Postsecondary Education, Department of Education; Part 668 -- Student Assistance General Provisions; Subpart J -- Approval of Independently Administered Tests; Specification of Passing Score; Approval of State Process], the term assessment center means “a center that --
(1) Is located at an eligible institution that provides two-year or four-year degrees, or qualifies as an eligible public vocational institution, i.e. a "postsecondary vocational institution;"
(2) Is responsible for gathering and evaluating information about individual students for multiple purposes, including appropriate course placement;
(3) Is independent of the admissions and financial aid processes at the institution at which it is located;
(4) Is staffed by professionally trained personnel; and
(5) Does not have as its primary purpose the administration of ability-to-benefit tests.”