The Edmunds–Tucker Act of 1887 was passed in response to the dispute between the United States Congress and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) regarding polygamy. This Act prohibited the practice of polygamy and punished it with a fine of from $500 to $800 and imprisonment of up to five years. It dissolved the corporation of the church and directed the confiscation by the federal government of all church properties valued over a limit of $50,000. The Act was enforced by the U.S. marshal and a host of deputies. It is named after its sponsors, Senator George F. Edmunds of Vermont and Congressman John Randolph Tucker of Virginia. The Act was repealed in 1978.