Supplemental rules for certain maritime and admiralty claims is a supplement to the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, which sets out the procedure for suits in admiralty and maritime law. These rules apply to the following remedies:
1. maritime attachment and garnishment,
2. actions in rem,
3. possessory, petitory, and partition actions, and
4. actions for exoneration from or limitation of liability;
5. forfeiture actions in rem arising from a federal statute; and
6. the procedure in statutory condemnation proceedings analogous to maritime actions in rem, whether within the admiralty and maritime jurisdiction or not.
The Federal Rules of Civil Procedure also apply to the foregoing proceedings except to the extent that they are inconsistent with these Supplemental Rules.[USCS Admiralty and Maritime Claims R A]