The United States Federal Maritime Board was a federal agency under the U.S. Department of Commerce. The Board was in charge of certain aspects of merchant shipping between 1950 and 1961. The Federal Maritime Board was responsible for regulating shipping and awarding subsidies for construction and operation of merchant vessels.
The Board was established in 1950 when the U.S. Maritime Commission was abolished and its responsibilities split between the Federal Maritime Board and the U.S. Maritime Administration (MARAD).
The Federal Maritime Board was abolished in 1961, when U.S. shipping laws were separated into two categories: regulatory and promotional. The regulatory role was assigned to the newly created Federal Maritime Commission, while the promotional role was assigned to MARAD.
Section 304 of 1961 Reorg. Plan No. 7, effective Aug. 12, 1961, 26 Fed. Reg. 7315, 75 Stat. 840, which appears as 5 USCS § 903 note, abolished the Federal Maritime Board, including the offices of the members of the Board. The functions of the Board were transferred either to the Federal Maritime Commission or to the Secretary of Commerce by sections 103 and 202 of 1961 Reorg. Plan No. 7. [7 USCS § 1622].