Adoption Service Provider Law and Legal Definition
Adoption service provider is an agency or individual who provides adoption services.
The following is an example of a state statute defining the term:
“(a) "Adoption service provider" means any of the following:
(1) A licensed private adoption agency.
(2) An individual who has presented satisfactory evidence to the department that he or she is a licensed clinical social worker who also has a minimum of five years of experience providing professional social work services while employed by a licensed California adoption agency or the department.
(3) In a state other than California, or a country other than the United States, an adoption agency licensed or otherwise approved under the laws of that state or country, or an individual who is licensed or otherwise certified as a clinical social worker under the laws of that state or country.
(4) An individual who has presented satisfactory evidence to the department that he or she is a licensed marriage and family therapist who has a minimum of five years of experience providing professional adoption casework services while employed by a licensed California adoption agency or the department. The department shall review the qualifications of each individual to determine if he or she has performed professional adoption casework services for five years as required by this section while employed by a licensed California adoption agency or the department.
(b) If, in the case of a birth parent located in California, at least three adoption service providers are not reasonably available, or, in the case of a birth parent located outside of California or outside of the United States who has contacted at least three potential adoption service providers and been unsuccessful in obtaining the services of an adoption service provider who is reasonably available and willing to provide services, independent legal counsel for the birth parent may serve as an adoption service provider pursuant to subdivision (e) of Section 8801.5. "Reasonably available" means that an adoption service provider is all of the following:
(1) Available within five days for an advisement of rights pursuant to Section 8801.5, or within 24 hours for the signing of the placement agreement pursuant to paragraph (3) of subdivision (b) of Section 8801.3.,
(2) Within 100 miles of the birth mother.,
(3) Available for a cost not exceeding five hundred dollars ($500) to make an advisement of rights and to witness the signing of the placement agreement.
(c) Where an attorney acts as an adoption service provider, the fee to make an advisement of rights and to witness the signing of the placement agreement shall not exceed five hundred dollars ($500).”[Cal Fam Code § 8502]
Legal Definition list
Related Legal Terms
- Abandonment [Intercountry Adoption]
- Absent Uniformed Services Voter
- Acceptable Identification of Goods and Services Manual
- Acceptable Quality Level [Agricultural Marketing Service]
- Acceptance of Service Agreement
- Acceptance [Agricultural Marketing Service]
- Access Software Provider
- Accredited Agency [Adoption]
- Accredited Body [Adoption]
- Accrediting Entity [Adoption]