Antiterrorism Assistance Law and Legal Definition
Antiterrorism assistance is a federal program, whereby, the President is authorized to furnish assistance to foreign countries in order to enhance the ability of their law enforcement personnel to deter terrorists and terrorist groups from engaging in international terrorist acts. Terrorist acts includes the following :
4. hostage taking, and
The term assistance means assistance to or for the benefit of a government of any country that is provided by grant, concessional sale, guaranty, insurance, or by any other means on terms more favorable than generally available in the applicable market.[22 USCS § 2349aa-10].
Pursuant to 22 USCS § 2349aa-10, such assistance may include training services and the provision of equipment and other commodities related to bomb detection and disposal, management of hostage situations, physical security, and other matters relating to the detection, deterrence, and prevention of acts of terrorism, the resolution of terrorist incidents, and the apprehension of those involved in such acts.
The following are the objectives of antiterrorism assistance program:
1. to enhance the antiterrorism skills of friendly countries by providing training and equipment to deter and counter terrorism;
2. to strengthen the bilateral ties of the U.S. with friendly governments by offering concrete assistance in this area of great mutual concern; and
3. to increase respect for human rights by sharing with foreign civil authorities modern, humane, and effective antiterrorism techniques.
Legal Definition list
Related Legal Terms
- Acquisition Assistance [Transportation]
- Adoption Assistance and Child Welfare Act of 1980
- Advisory and Assistance Services
- Advisory or Assistance Services [Energy]
- Agricultural Trade Development and Assistance Act of 1954
- AIDS Drug Assistance Programs
- Alternative Trade Adjustment Assistance Recipient
- Anti-Terrorism Assistance Program [ATA]
- Antiterrorism and Effective Death Penalty Act of 1996
- Antitrust Mutual Assistance Agreement