- Find Attorney
Approach is a word that has varied meanings depending on the context it is used. Approach could mean
1. To come or go near or nearer to; the act of drawing near; a coming or advancing near. For example, the traffic thickened as we approached the
2. A way or means of reaching something; an access. For example, hard work is one of the approaches to success.
3. The method used in dealing with or accomplishing. For example, a logical approach to the problem.
4. To make a proposal or overtures to with a specific end in view: He approached the administration for a raise.
5. To come close to, as in appearance, quality, or condition; approximate. For example, the performance approached perfection.
Examples of a statute and case law defining the term Approach.
70 ILCS 5/1 As used in the Airport Authorities Act, "Approach" means any path, course or zone defined by an ordinance of an Authority, or by other lawful regulation, on the ground or in the air, or both, for the use of aircraft in landing and taking off from an airport located within an Authority.
The term "approach," means a structure of some sort necessary to reach the railroad track from the common surface. It does not signify an ordinary sidewalk. It may be an embankment, or a bridge, or whatever is required for the purpose, at the particular place.[Bloomington v. Illinois C. R. R. Co., 49 Ill. App. 129, 133 (Ill. App. Ct. 1892)]