Assessment [Education] Law and Legal Definition
Assessment is the process of judging student behavior or product in terms of some criteria. The knowledge, skills, attitudes and beliefs are documented in measurable terms. Usually assessment focuses on the educational system as a whole, the individual learner, and the learning community.
In education, the final purposes and assessment practices depend on:
(1) the theoretical framework of the practitioners and researchers;
(2) practitioners' and researchers' assumptions and beliefs about the nature of the human mind;
(3) the origin of knowledge; and
(4) the process of learning.
Summative assessment is carried out at the end of a course and is used to assign students a course grade. Formative assessment is carried out throughout a course or project. Formative assessment serves as a teacher providing feedback on a student's work.
Legal Definition list
Related Legal Terms
- 504 Plan [Education]
- Abatement of Tax Assessment
- Abrogation [Education]
- Academic Competitiveness Grant (ACG) Program [Education]
- Academic Department [Education]
- Academic Field [Education]
- Accreditation (Education)
- Accredited Educational Institution
- Accrediting Agency [Education]
- ACG Scheduled Award [Education]