Attempt an Act Law and Legal Definition
An attempt is an act or an instance of making an effort to accomplish something, usually without success. In other words, knowingly doing something for the accomplishment or fulfillment of an act.
In criminal law, it refers to an overt act done with the intention to commit a crime but it falls short of completing the crime. It is an endeavor to commit a crime, carried beyond mere preparation, but falls short of execution. Attempt is an inchoate offense distinct from the attempted crime. It can include any act that is a substantial step towards commission of a crime. An attempt to commit an indictable offense is itself a crime.
Legal Definition list
Related Legal Terms
- 1031 Exchange
- 107th Meridian Boundary Dispute
- 107th Meridian Escrow Fund
- 21st Century Nanotechnology Research and Development Act of 2003
- 3-A Sanitary Standards and Accepted Practice
- 3-Way Incandescent Lamp
- 30-Year Contract [Agriculture]
- 401 K Plans
- 480th Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Wing
- 504 Financing