Cease and Desist Letter Law and Legal Definition
Cease and desist letter is a letter which advises a person to stop (cease and desist) using specified legal rights which are claimed by another. A cease and desist letter which is signed and dated, demands an individual or a corporate entity to stop or cease certain actions as they do not have right to act accordingly. Instead such rights would be belonging to the person who sends the cease and desist letter or a person on whose behalf it is send. Cease and desist letter is also called demand letter.
By sending a cease and desist letter one can stop the illegal use of rights. It helps in declaring the sender’s rights and, the recipient of the letter may explain on what basis they are acting as such. It may also lead to litigation.
Legal Definition list
Related Legal Terms
- 2.431 Certification Letter
- 21st Century Nanotechnology Research and Development Act of 2003
- 3-A Sanitary Standards and Accepted Practice
- 3-Way Incandescent Lamp
- 480th Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Wing
- 70th Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Wing
- Abandon [Shipping]
- Abandoned Infant
- Abandoned Mark