Contact Law and Legal Definition
The word Contact has varied meanings depending on the context in which it is used.
Generally it means
1. Close Interaction. For example “they kept in daily contact”
2. The act of touching physically, physical contact. For example “A’s fingers came in contact with the light switch”
3. The state or condition of being in immediate proximity. For example the litmus paper turns red on contact with acid.
4. The physical coming together of two or more things For example “contact with the wall scraped the paint from the car”
5. Middle man or any person who is in a position to give special assistance. For example “A used his business contacts to get an introduction to the President.”
6. A communicative interaction. For Example “The Pilot made contact with the base.”
Example of some state statutes (Arizona) defining the word “contact”
A.R.S. § 15-1762 [Arizona Revised Statutes, Title 15 Education] defines contact as follows:
"Contact" means a direct or indirect communication between an athlete agent and a student athlete to recruit or solicit the student athlete to enter into an agency contract.
A.R.S. § 36-661 [Arizona Revised Statutes, Title 36 Public health and Safety] defines contact as follows
"Contact" means a spouse or sex partner of a protected person, a person who has shared hypodermic needles or syringes with a protected person or a person otherwise exposed to a protected person with a communicable disease in a manner that poses an epidemiologically significant risk of transmission of that disease.