Copyright Infringement Law and Legal Definition
Copyright infringement is the act of violating the copyright owner’s exclusive right through unauthorized or prohibited use of copyrighted material. A copyright owner’s right is an exclusive one and is granted under the federal Copyright Act. An infringement of rights of the copyright owner occurs when:
1. there is a reproduction of work;
2. there is a derivative of works prepared based on the work;
3. there is a distribution of copies of the work;
4. the work is performed in public; and
5. there is public performance of sound recordings.