Correctional Facility Law and Legal Definition
Correctional facility is a term that may be used to refer to a jail, prison, or other place of incarceration by government officials. They serve to confine and rehabilitate prisoners and may be classified as minimum, medium, or maximum security facilities, or contain separate divisions for such categories of prisoners. The prisoners may participate in educational and vocational programs as well as in paid industries programs or a work release program.
Correctional facilities are subject to federal andstate laws. The U.S. Constitution guarantees certain minimum standards of living for those incarcerated in correctional facilities. Abusive and inhumane conditions at a correctional facility may be claimed to violate a prisoner's rights against cruel and unusual punishment.
Legal Definition list
Related Legal Terms
- Adult Correctional Institution [Education]
- Advanced Nuclear Facility [Energy]
- Advanced Technology User Facility
- Air Facility System
- Air Navigation Facility
- Air Navigation Facility Certificate
- Ammonium Nitrate Facility
- Application for a Deposit Facility [Banks & Banking]
- Aquaculture Facility
- Atomic Weapons Employer Facility