Directory Information [Education] Law and Legal Definition
According to 34 CFR 99.3 [Title 34 – Education; Subtitle A -- Office of the Secretary, Department of Education; Part 99 -- Family Educational Rights and Privacy; Subpart A – General], the term directory information means “information contained in an education record of a student that would not generally be considered harmful or an invasion of privacy if disclosed.
(a) Directory information includes, but is not limited to, the student's name; address; telephone listing; electronic mail address; photograph; date and place of birth; major field of study; grade level; enrollment status (e.g., undergraduate or graduate, full-time or part-time); dates of attendance; participation in officially recognized activities and sports; weight and height of members of athletic teams; degrees, honors and awards received; and the most recent educational agency or institution attended.
(b) Directory information does not include a student's--
(1) Social security number; or
(2) Student identification (ID) number, except as provided in paragraph (c) of this section.
(c) Directory information includes a student ID number, user ID, or other unique personal identifier used by the student for purposes of accessing or communicating in electronic systems, but only if the identifier cannot be used to gain access to education records except when used in conjunction with one or more factors that authenticate the user's identity, such as a personal identification number (PIN), password, or other factor known or possessed only by the authorized user.”
[Authority: 20 U.S.C. 1232g(a)(5)(A)]
Legal Definition list
Related Legal Terms
- 504 Plan [Education]
- Abrogation [Education]
- Academic Competitiveness Grant (ACG) Program [Education]
- Academic Department [Education]
- Academic Field [Education]
- Access to Classified Information (Military)
- Accreditation (Education)
- Accredited Educational Institution
- Accrediting Agency [Education]
- ACG Scheduled Award [Education]