Disclaimer (Trademark) Law and Legal Definition
Trademark disclaimer is an announcement by the trademark holder that the owner does not have an exclusive right for the use of any portion of that mark. The purpose of a disclaimer is to permit the registration of a mark that is registrable as a whole but contains matter that would not be registrable when taken alone.
A disclaimer to a certain component of a trademark means that nobody is entitled to possess exclusive rights to that component. Registration of a trademark can be revoked in respect of some goods or services for which the mark has been registered, but not in respect of some components of the mark.
Legal Definition list
Related Legal Terms
- Abandonment (Trademark)
- Acquiescence (Trademark)
- Acquired Distinctiveness (Trademark)
- Acquisition of Ownership (Trademark)
- Actual Confusion (Trademark)
- Advertising Injury (Trademark)
- Aesthetic Functionality (Trademark)
- Affirmative Defenses (Trademark)
- Affixation Requirement (Trademark)
- Assumed Name (Trademark)