Domestic Nuclear Detection Office Law and Legal Definition
The Domestic Nuclear Office (“Office”) is an office established by the Secretary of Defence, and the Secretary of Energy. It is established pursuant to 6 USCS § 591. The Office helps in coordinating federal efforts to detect and protect against the unauthorized importation, possession, storage, transportation, development, or use of a nuclear explosive device in the U.S. it also helps in providing protection against attack using such devices or materials against the people, territory, or interests of the U.S.
The following are the purposes of the Office:
1.To serve as the primary entity of the U.S. government;
2. To develop, acquire, and support the deployment of an enhanced domestic system;
3. To detect and report on attempts to import, possess, store, transport, develop, or use an unauthorized nuclear explosive device, fissile material, or radiological material in the U.S.
4.To enhance and coordinate the nuclear detection efforts of federal, state, local, and tribal governments and the private sector;
5.To ensure an enduring national technical nuclear forensics capability to strengthen the collective response of the U.S. to nuclear terrorism or other nuclear attacks.
Legal Definition list
Related Legal Terms
- Abuse of Public Office
- Adjudicative Officer [Education]
- Administering Office
- Administrative Appeals Office [Immigration]
- Administrative Office of the U.S. Courts
- Administrative Office of the United States Courts (AO)
- Administrative Officer
- Advanced Nuclear Facility [Energy]
- Advisory Office Action
- Agreement Officer [Aeronautics and Space]