Dru Sjodin National Sex Offender Public Website Law and Legal Definition
The Dru Sjodin National Sex Offender Public Website (NSOPW), co-ordinated by the U.S. Department of Justice, is a national search website that provides parents and other concerned residents access to public state and territory sex offender registries. Using the NSOPW’s advanced search option, people can search for and display public sex offender data from state and territory registries through a single query. Website searches are conducted free of charge.
The NSOPW is a cooperative effort between jurisdictions hosting public sex offender registries (“Jurisdictions”) and the federal government. Now, the NSOPW connects sex offender registries in all 50 states, the U.S. territories of Puerto Rico and Guam, and the District of Columbia.
The Dru Sjodin National Sex Offender Public Website is designed to control sex crimes and promote safety in the U.S. The NSOPW:
a. Promotes public safety by using already existing sex offender data.
b. Does not require no special certifications, training, or fees for users.
c. Minimizes the time and funding required to create a new repository.
d. Maximizes state and local agencies' ability to retain control over their data.
The following is a federal statute on NSOPW:
42 USCS § 16920. Dru Sjodin National Sex Offender Public Website
(a) Establishment. There is established the Dru Sjodin National Sex Offender Public Website (hereinafter in this section referred to as the "Website"), which the Attorney General shall maintain.
(b) Information to be provided. The Website shall include relevant information for each sex offender and other person listed on a jurisdiction's Internet site. The Website shall allow the public to obtain relevant information for each sex offender by a single query for any given zip code or geographical radius set by the user in a form and with such limitations as may be established by the Attorney General and shall have such other field search capabilities as the Attorney General may provide.
Legal Definition list
- Dropsy Testimony
- Drop-Shipment Delivery
- Drop-Down Clause
- Drop-Dead Provision
- Drop-Add Period [Educational Assistance Programs]
- Dru Sjodin National Sex Offender Public Website
- Drug Abuse
- Drug Abuse Education and Prevention Services
- Drug Abuse Prevention and Control
- Drug Abuse Prevention, Treatment, And Rehabilitation Act
- Drug Addiction or Alcoholic Treatment and Rehabilitation Program
Related Legal Terms
- Abbreviated Drug Application
- Abbreviated New Drug Applications [ANDA]
- Abuse of Public Office
- Abusive Sexual Contacts
- Academy for International Conflict Management and Peacebuilding [USIP]
- Access Control List [National Security]
- Access Control Mechanism [National Security]
- Accessible Space [National Security]
- Accidental Radiation Occurrence [Food and Drugs]
- Acta Publica