Empanel Law and Legal Definition
Empanel means to select and seat the jury for a case. It is same as impanel. Empanelling is a jury selection process and involves many steps. The basic steps to empanelling a jury are:
1. Collecting the names of prospective jurors on a random basis.
2. Selecting individuals who would serve on the jury.
3. Giving prospective jurors an opportunity to give reasons why they should not serve on the jury.
4. Allowing the prosecution and defense to use their challenges to dismiss prospective jurors
5. Swearing in the jurors and alternative jurors.