Employee Verification Service Law and Legal Definition
Employee verification service (EVS) is a service that will match your record of employee names and Social Security numbers (SSN) with SSAs records before you prepare and submit Forms W-2 (Wage and Tax Statements). If the SSNs entered on the W-2 don't match the Social Security Administration's records additional processing costs may be charged to the employer and result in uncredited earnings for employees. Uncredited earnings can affect future eligibility to (and amounts paid under) SSAs retirement, disability and survivors program.
The service is offered throuh the Social Security Administration. The Social Security Administration’s EVS system will only verify a social security number if the employee’s NAME, SEX, DATE OF BIRTH and SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER combination matches their files.
Legal Definition list
Related Legal Terms
- Absent Uniformed Services Voter
- Acceptable Identification of Goods and Services Manual
- Acceptable Quality Level [Agricultural Marketing Service]
- Acceptance of Service Agreement
- Acceptance [Agricultural Marketing Service]
- Action for the Loss of Services
- Active Military Service
- Active Military, Naval, or Air Service
- Actuarial Experience [Employee Retirement]
- Actuarial Services [Employee Retirement]