Form DS-230 Law and Legal Definition
Form DS-230 is an application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration. All foreign nationals who wish to immigrate to the U.S. permanently on an immigrant visa must submit DS-230 at the U.S. Consulate. They can also apply electronically using Form DS-260.
The following is an example of a federal regulation relating to Form DS-230:
22 CFR 42.63. Definitions.
(a) Application Forms. (1) Application on Form DS-230 or Form DS-260 Required.--Every alien applying for an immigrant visa must make application, as directed by the consular officer, on Form DS-230, Application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration, or on Form DS-260, Electronic Application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration. This requirement may not be waived. Form DS-230 consists of parts I and II which, together, are meant in any reference to this Form.
(2) Application of alien under 14 or physically incapable. The application on Form DS-230 or on Form DS-260 for an alien under 14 years of age or one physically incapable of completing an application may be executed by the alien's parent or guardian, or, if the alien has no parent or guardian, by any person having legal custody of, or a legitimate interest in, the alien.
(b) Preparation of forms. The consular officer shall ensure that Form DS-230 or Form DS-260 and all other forms an alien is required to submit are fully and properly completed in accordance with the applicable regulations and instructions.
(c) Additional information as part of application. The officer may require the submission of additional information or question the alien on any relevant matter whenever the officer believes that the information provided in Form DS-230 or Form DS-260 is inadequate to determine the alien's eligibility to receive an immigrant visa. Additional statements made by the alien become a part of the visa application. All documents required under the authority of § 42.62 are considered papers submitted with the alien's application within the meaning of INA 221(g)(1).
Legal Definition list
Related Legal Terms
- 1040 Form
- Absent Uniformed Services Voter
- Access to Classified Information (Military)
- Adequate Information
- ADV Form
- Against the Form of the Statute
- Agricultural Research, Extension, and Education Reform Act of 1998
- Amendment of Information
- American Federation of Information Processing Societies
- American Standard Code for Information Interchange