Legal Services Corporation Law and Legal Definition
Legal Services Corporation (“Corporation”) is a private nonmembership nonprofit corporation in the U.S. that provides financial support for legal assistance in noncriminal proceedings or matters to persons financially unable to afford legal assistance. It is established pursuant to 42 USCS § 2996 It also provides equal access to the system of justice for individuals who seek redress of grievances. It also provides high quality legal assistance to those who would be otherwise unable to afford adequate legal counsel and to continue the present vital legal services program. The Corporation also provides legal assistance to those who face an economic barrier to adequate legal counsel.
Under this Corporation, attorneys providing legal assistance must have full freedom to protect the best interests of their clients in keeping with the code of professional responsibility, the canons of ethics, and the high standards of the legal profession. The Corporation maintains its principal office in the District of Columbia and also maintains therein a designated agent to accept service of process for the Corporation.
The following are the purposes of the Corporation:
1.to provide financial assistance to qualified programs furnishing legal assistance to eligible clients, and to make grants to and contracts with individuals, partnerships, firms, corporations, and nonprofit organizations, and local governments;
2. to research, except that broad general legal or policy research unrelated to representation of eligible clients that may not be undertaken by grant or contract;
3.to serve as a clearinghouse for information.
Legal Definition list
Related Legal Terms
- Absent Uniformed Services Voter
- Acceptable Identification of Goods and Services Manual
- Action for the Loss of Services
- Actuarial Documents [Federal Crop Insurance Corporation]
- Actuarial Services [Employee Retirement]
- Actuarially Appropriate [Federal Crop Insurance Corporation]
- Additional Health Services
- Administrative Support Services [Education]
- Adult Day Services (ADS) (Health Care)
- Adult Protective Services