Limited Jurisdiction Law and Legal Definition
Limited jurisdiction is the power of a court to hear only certain types of cases, or those in which the amount in controversy is below a certain sum or that is subject to exceptions. Within the U.S., most courts are courts of limited jurisdiction. For example, bankruptcy court is a limited jurisdiction court as it can hear only bankruptcy cases. Likewise, family law courts can hear only family law cases, and small claims courts can only hear cases involving damages up to a certain monetary amount.
Limited Jurisdiction is also known as special jurisdiction.
Legal Definition list
- Limited Interpretation
- Limited Interdiction
- Limited Health Care Services
- Limited Guardianship
- Limited Guaranty
- Limited Jurisdiction
- Limited Liability Companies
- Limited Liability Companies Form LLC
- Limited Liability Companies Operating Agreement
- Limited Liability Companies Professional
- Limited Liability Company