Local Affairs Law and Legal Definition
Local affairs refer to the domestic activities conducted by local administrative units. In the U.S. regulation, management and control of local affairs are delegated to cities. The constitutional authority of cities only extends to local affairs and does not cover matters of statewide concern.
Pursuant to Wis. Const. Art. XI, § 3], “the cities and villages of the state are empowered to determine their local affairs, subject to such enactments of the legislature of state-wide concern as shall with uniformity affect every city or every village.”
In Van Gilder v. Madison, 222 Wis. 58, 87 (Wis. 1936), the court held that the fixing of salaries of policemen is a local affair.
Legal Definition list
Related Legal Terms
- Apportionment of Local Assessment
- Appropriate Local Emergency Authority
- Assistant Secretary of Defense for Public Affairs
- Bureau of African Affairs [Department of State]
- Bureau of Consular Affairs
- Bureau of East Asian and Pacific Affairs [Department of State]
- Bureau of Economic, Energy, and Business Affairs [EEB] [Department of State]
- Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs [ECA] [Department of State]
- Bureau of European and Eurasian Affairs [Department of State]
- Bureau of Indian Affairs [BIA]