Motion for Substituted Service Law and Legal Definition
Motion for substitute service refers to a request asking a judge to issue an order for substituted service. The motion explains that service was attempted, but failed, and describes the method of service requested to the court.
There are State specific rules regarding how and when a motion for substituted service can be filed. In Texas, the motion should be supported by an affidavit which gives details of the manner in which service was attempted, the dates on which it was attempted etc.
Relevant law in Texas on the subject
Tex. R. Civ. P. 106 Method of Service
(a) Unless the citation or an order of the court otherwise directs, the citation shall be served by any person authorized by Rule 103 by
(1) delivering to the defendant, in person, a true copy of the citation with the date of delivery endorsed thereon with a copy of the petition attached thereto, or
(2) mailing to the defendant by registered or certified mail, return receipt requested, a true copy of the citation with a copy of the petition attached thereto.
(b) Upon motion supported by affidavit stating the location of the defendant's usual place of business or usual place of abode or other place where the defendant can probably be found and stating specifically the facts showing that service has been attempted under either (a)(1) or (a)(2) at the location named in such affidavit but has not been successful, the court may authorize service
(1) by leaving a true copy of the citation, with a copy of the petition attached, with anyone over sixteen years of age at the location specified in such affidavit, or (2) in any other manner that the affidavit or other evidence before the court shows will be reasonably effective to give the defendant notice of the suit.
Legal Definition list
- Motion for Revision
- Motion for Relief From the Judgment
- Motion for Relief from Stay and Abandonment (Bankruptcy)
- Motion for Protective Order
- Motion for Permission to Withdraw Appearance
- Motion for Substituted Service
- Motion for Summary Judgment
- Motion Hearing
- Motion Hour
- Motion in Arrest of Judgment
- Motion in Bar
Related Legal Terms
- 1040 Form
- A Fortiori
- A Fortiori Argument
- Absent Uniformed Services Voter
- Academy for International Conflict Management and Peacebuilding [USIP]
- Acceptable Identification of Goods and Services Manual
- Acceptable Quality Level [Agricultural Marketing Service]
- Acceptance for Value
- Acceptance of Service Agreement
- Acceptance [Agricultural Marketing Service]