Points System [Traffic] Law and Legal Definition
Points system is a system in criminal law that assigns incremental points or units to traffic violations. The units get added for each road traffic offense. The accumulation of a certain number of points over a year results in the automatic suspension of a person’s driving privileges.
The primary purpose of such point systems is to identify and deter repeat offenders of traffic laws, whilst also streamlining the legal process. Germany was the first country worldwide that introduced a demerit point system. Germany implemented this system in 1974.
Legal Definition list
Related Legal Terms
- 9-1-1 System
- Accelerated Cost Recovery System
- Active Solar System
- Actuarially Sound Retirement System
- Adaptive Ecosystem Management
- Administrative Governor [Federal Reserve System]
- Adoption and Foster Care Analysis and Reporting System (AFCARS)
- Advanced Automobile Propulsion System
- Advanced Truck Stop Electrification System
- Adversarial System