Pre-Transportation Function [Hazardous Materials Regulations] Law and Legal Definition
According to 49 CFR 171.8 [Title 49 – Transportation; Subtitle B -- Other Regulations Relating to Transportation; Chapter I -- Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration, Department of Transportation; Subchapter C -- Hazardous Materials Regulations; Part 171 -- General Information, Regulations, and Definitions; Subpart A -- Applicability, General Requirements, and North American Shipments], pre-transportation function means “a function specified in the HMR that is required to assure the safe transportation of a hazardous material in commerce, including --
(1) Determining the hazard class of a hazardous material.
(2) Selecting a hazardous materials packaging.
(3) Filling a hazardous materials packaging, including a bulk packaging.
(4) Securing a closure on a filled or partially filled hazardous materials package or container or on a package or container containing a residue of a hazardous material.
(5) Marking a package to indicate that it contains a hazardous material.
(6) Labeling a package to indicate that it contains a hazardous material.
(7) Preparing a shipping paper.
(8) Providing and maintaining emergency response information.
(9) Reviewing a shipping paper to verify compliance with the HMR or international equivalents.
(10) For each person importing a hazardous material into the United States, providing the shipper with timely and complete information as to the HMR requirements that will apply to the transportation of the material within the United States.
(11) Certifying that a hazardous material is in proper condition for transportation in conformance with the requirements of the HMR.
(12) Loading, blocking, and bracing a hazardous materials package in a freight container or transport vehicle.
(13) Segregating a hazardous materials package in a freight container or transport vehicle from incompatible cargo.
(14) Selecting, providing, or affixing placards for a freight container or transport vehicle to indicate that it contains a hazardous material.”
Legal Definition list
- Pre-Tax Deductions
- Pre-Service Training [Education]
- Pre-Sentence Investigation
- Pre-Rule Quiet Zone [Transportation]
- Pre-Rule Partial Quiet Zone [Transportation]
- Pre-Transportation Function [Hazardous Materials Regulations]
- Pre-Trial Motions
- Pre-Trial Probation
- Preaccreditation [Education]
- Preacquired Account
Related Legal Terms
- 2257 Regulations
- Administrative Function
- Aesthetic Functionality (Trademark)
- Arduous of Hazardous Positions [Civil Service Regulations]
- Asbestos-Containing Waste Materials [National Emission Standard for Asbestos]
- Audio-Visual Materials
- Banned Hazardous Substance
- Basel Convention on the Control of Transboundary Movements of Hazardous Wastes and Their Disposal
- Biomaterials Access Assurance Act
- Biomaterials Supplier