Seeds Law and Legal Definition
States may regulate the labeling, possessing for sale, sale and offering for sale or otherwise providing for planting of agricultural seeds, vegetable seeds and screenings. Such laws aim to prevent misrepresentation involving seeds among other purposes. Such laws may provide for the inspection and testing of seeds and penalties and/or confiscation or destruction of seeds in violation of such regulations.
The following is an example of a state statute regulating seeds:
" The Board of Agriculture, in accordance with the Administrative Procedure Act, may adopt such rules, regulations and standards which they may find to be advisable or necessary to carry out and enforce the purposes and provisions of this Article, which shall have the force and effect of law. The Board of Agriculture shall adopt rules, regulations and standards as follows:
- Prescribing the methods of sampling, inspecting, analyzing, testing and examining agricultural and vegetable seed, and determining the tolerance to be followed in the administration of this Article.
- Declaring a list of prohibited and restricted noxious weeds, conforming with the definitions stated in this Article, and to add to or subtract therefrom, from time to time, after a public hearing following due public notice.
- Declaring the maximum percentage of total weed seed content permitted in agricultural seed.
- Declaring the maximum number of "restricted" noxious weed seeds per pound of agricultural seed permitted to be sold, offered or exposed for sale.
- Declaring the minimum percentage of germination permitted for sale as "Agricultural Seeds."
- Declaring germination standards for vegetable seeds.
- Prescribing the form and use of tags or stamps to be used in labeling seed.
- Prescribing such other rules and regulations as may be necessary to secure the efficient enforcement of this Article.
- Establishing fees and charges for agricultural and vegetable seed testing and analysis.
- Prescribing minimum hybrid percentage for labeling for each species hybridized.
- Prescribing labeling and coloring requirements for treated seed.
- Establishing a Tobacco Seed Committee which shall approve flue cured tobacco varieties prior to registration with the Department.
- Prescribing labeling requirements for agricultural and vegetable seed."