Sex Offender Registration and Notification Act Law and Legal Definition
Sex Offender Registration and Notification Act (SORNA) is a U.S. federal law enacted in 2006. SORNA is a part of the Adam Walsh Child Protection and Safety Act of 2006. SORNA aims to strengthen the nationwide sex offender registration network.
The legislation requires sex offenders to register in jurisdictions where they reside, work, and attend school. They are also required to provide more extensive registration information and update their information on a periodic basis. The offenders are required to make in-person appearances to verify the correctness of their information on file. The frequency upon which they must periodically report and the length of time for which they must remain registered depends upon the type of sex offense for which they were convicted.
SORNA also creates a uniform, national registration database on the web. The Act specifies information about the sex offenders that must be gathered, and the information that must posted on the Web. The registration and notification requirements apply to all 50 states of the U.S, the District of Columbia, territories, and federally recognized Indian tribes. Any jurisdictions that do not substantially comply with the SORNA requirements by 7/27/09 (within three years of implementation of the SORNA) may be subject to a reduction in their Justice Assistance Grant (JAG).
The SORNA expands the amount of information available to the public regarding registered sex offenders.
Legal Definition list
- Sex Offender
- Sex Education
- Sex Desegregation [Education]
- Sex Crimes Act
- Sex Crime
- Sex Offender Registration and Notification Act
- Sex Offender Registry
- Sex Offender Sentencing, Monitoring, Apprehending, Registering and Tracking Office
- Sex Offense
- Sex Offenses by Computer Committed With Children
- Sex Related Aggression
Related Legal Terms
- 21st Century Nanotechnology Research and Development Act of 2003
- 3-A Sanitary Standards and Accepted Practice
- 3-Way Incandescent Lamp
- 30-Year Contract [Agriculture]
- 480th Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Wing
- 707b Action
- 70th Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Wing
- 9/11 Commission Act