Special Immigrant Visa Law and Legal Definition

If a permanent resident (green card holder) remained outside the US for over a year without first receiving special permission (re-entry permit); they may need to request a special immigrant visa in order to return to the US in LPR status. Such a green card holder should apply for a special immigrant visa at the local consulate with proof of the reason that required the stay outside the US. The green card holder also requires proving that there was no intention of abandoning his/her residence in the US.