Substitution of Counsel Law and Legal Definition

If an individual/party to a case wishes to change its legal representation or substitute another attorney/law firm for the one currently handling the matter, the individual/party may request the court to do so. The former attorney/law firm may file with the clerk of court a notice of substitution of counsel signed by the party and the former attorney. The notice shall contain the style of the case, the name, address, phone number and bar number of the substitute counsel. A copy of the notice needs to be served on the substitute counsel, opposing counsel or party if unrepresented, and the assigned judge. No other or further action needs to be required by the former attorney to withdraw from representing the party. The substitution will not delay any proceeding or hearing in the case.