Suspension of Sentence Law and Legal Definition
Suspension of sentence is the suspension of imposition of sentence after conviction or plea of guilty for determinate and reasonable period. It is the postponement of the judgment of the court temporarily or indefinitely. In a suspension of sentence, the conviction and the disabilities arising therefrom remains and it become operative when judgment is rendered.
The distinction between a reprieve and a suspension of sentence is that reprieve postpones the execution of the sentence to a day certain, whereas a suspension is for an indefinite time. [In re Buchanan, 146 N.Y. 264, 273 (N.Y. 1895)].
Legal Definition list
- Suspension of Deportation
- Suspension Of Child Support Payments
- Suspension of an employee
- Suspension of Action
- Suspension Letter (Trademark)
- Suspension of Sentence
- Suspension [Education]
- Suspicious Activity Report [Banking]
- Suspicious Character
- Suspicious Transaction (Gaming Law)
- Suspicious-Activity Report [SAR]