Having Weapons While Under Disability Law and Legal Definition
Law prohibits certain persons like fugitives from justice, drug dependent persons, mentally incompetent persons etc from acquiring, having, carrying, or using firearms. If a fugitive from justice carries firearms he or she is said to have weapon while under disability. However that person may apply to the court of common pleas in the county in which the person resides for relief from such prohibition.
Example of a state statute (Ohio) on having weapons while under disability
ORC Ann. 2923.13. Having weapons while under disability
(A) Unless relieved from disability as provided in section 2923.14 of the Revised Code, no person shall knowingly acquire, have, carry, or use any firearm or dangerous ordnance, if any of the following apply:
(1) The person is a fugitive from justice.
(2) The person is under indictment for or has been convicted of any felony offense of violence or has been adjudicated a delinquent child for the commission of an offense that, if committed by an adult, would have been a felony offense of violence.
(3) The person is under indictment for or has been convicted of any offense involving the illegal possession, use, sale, administration, distribution, or trafficking in any drug of abuse or has been adjudicated a delinquent child for the commission of an offense that, if committed by an adult, would have been an offense involving the illegal possession, use, sale, administration, distribution, or trafficking in any drug of abuse.
(4) The person is drug dependent, in danger of drug dependence, or a chronic alcoholic.
(5) The person is under adjudication of mental incompetence, has been adjudicated as a mental defective, has been committed to a mental institution, has been found by a court to be a mentally ill person subject to hospitalization by court order, or is an involuntary patient other than one who is a patient only for purposes of observation. As used in this division, "mentally ill person subject to hospitalization by court order" and "patient" have the same meanings as in section 5122.01 of the Revised Code.
(B) Whoever violates this section is guilty of having weapons while under disability, a felony of the third degree.
Legal Definition list
- Hate Speech
- Hate Crime
- Hatchery Operator
- Hatchback Automobile
- Having Weapons While Under Disability
- Hay Fever
- Hazantown Agreement