Instrument Law and Legal Definition
An instrument, in the legal context, refers to a document containing some legal right or obligation. Examples include contracts, bonds, promissory notes, and others. The following is an example of a state law dealing with instruments:
70-21-101. Instrument defined -- abstract. For the purposes of Title 1, chapter 5; part 2 of this chapter; and 70-21-310, the word instrument includes an abstract of an instrument that must be executed and acknowledged or proved by all parties executing the abstracted document and contains:
- the names and addresses of the parties to the instrument;
- a description of the real property affected;
- a statement that this is an abstract of another document;
- a short statement of the effect of the document abstracted;
- the name and address of the person who will provide a full and complete copy of the document abstracted, without cost, upon request of any person.