National Organic Production Program Law and Legal Definition
The National Organic Production Program (“Program”) is a federal program that establishes national standards governing the marketing of certain agricultural products as organically produced products. It is established pursuant to 7 USCS §§ 6501. This Program provides assurance to consumers who use organically produced products with a consistent standard. This Program facilitates interstate commerce in fresh and processed food that is organically produced.
Under this Program, the Secretary of Agriculture establishes an organic certification program for producers and also handles agricultural products that have been produced using organic methods.
The following are prohibited under the Program:
1. use of any fertilizers containing synthetic ingredients or any commercially blended fertilizers containing materials;
2. use of source of nitrogen: phosphorous, lime, potash, or any materials that are inconsistent with the applicable organic certification program;
3.use natural poisons such as arsenic or lead salts that have long-term effects that are detrimental to the environment;
4. use transplants that are treated with any synthetic or prohibited material.
In addition, the Program also prohibits use of raw manure from being applied to any crop in a way that significantly contributes to water contamination by nitrates or bacteria.
Legal Definition list
- National Ombudsman
- National of the United States
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration [NOAA]
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Commissioned Corps [NOAA Corps]
- National Nonmember Banks
- National Organic Production Program
- National Organization for Victim Assistance
- National Origin Desegregation [Education]
- National Park Service (NPS)
- National Park Service Act
- National Park Service Activities
Related Legal Terms
- 8 A Program
- Ability One Program
- Abuse in Later Life Program [Department of Justice]
- Academic Competitiveness Grant (ACG) Program [Education]
- Academy for International Conflict Management and Peacebuilding [USIP]
- Accelerated Nursing Degree Program
- Access Control List [National Security]
- Access Control Mechanism [National Security]
- Accessible Space [National Security]
- Activity of Multinational Enterprises