National Resident Matching Program [NRMP] Law and Legal Definition
The National Resident Matching Program (NRMP) is a private non profit organization established in 1952 to help U.S. medical school applicants. NRMP aims to provide a uniform date of appointment to positions in graduate medical education (GME) in the U.S. The NRMP is not a job placement service. Applicants directly apply to residency programs.
Main function of NRMP is to place applicants for postgraduate medical training positions into residency programs at teaching hospitals in the U. S. Additionally, NRMP main match provides an independent venue for matching applicants' preferences for residency positions with program directors' preferences for applicants. Applicants preferring for the NRMP main match must make an application to the corporation. Four types of programs conducted by NRMP are:
Categorical Program: Categorical Programs starts in the PGY-1 year. The program provides the training required for board certification in special medical fields.
Advanced Program: Advanced Programs starts after a year of prerequisite training in PGY-2 year.
Preliminary Program: Preliminary Program is a one-year program, beginning in the PGY-1 year. The program provides prerequisite training for advanced programs.
Physician Program: Physician Program is reserved for physicians having prior graduate medical education. However, senior U.S. medical students cannot avail the physician program.
Legal Definition list
- National Research Center on English Learning and Achievement [CELA]
- National Register of Historic Places
- National Reconnaissance Office [NRO]
- National Reclamation Act
- National Rail Passenger Transportation System
- National Resident Matching Program [NRMP]
- National Response Center
- National Response System
- National Response Team
- National Revenue Center [TTB]
- National Rifle Association Foundation
Related Legal Terms
- 8 A Program
- Ability One Program
- Abuse in Later Life Program [Department of Justice]
- Academic Competitiveness Grant (ACG) Program [Education]
- Academy for International Conflict Management and Peacebuilding [USIP]
- Accelerated Nursing Degree Program
- Access Control List [National Security]
- Access Control Mechanism [National Security]
- Accessible Space [National Security]
- Activity of Multinational Enterprises