National Telecommunications and Information Administration Law and Legal Definition
The National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) is the executive agency within the U.S. Department of Commerce. The NTIA is mainly responsible for developing and formulating domestic and international policies on telecommunications. It was created in 1978.
The NTIA acts as the U.S. President’s principal adviser on domestic and international communications and information policies relating to the economic and technological advancement of the U.S., and regulation of the U.S. telecommunications industry. The NTIA performs a wide range of activities related to the telecom industry. Some of them are:
1. Oversees the Internet Assigned Names Authority contract.
2. Manages the Federal use of spectrum.
3. Performs cutting-edge telecommunications research and engineering, including resolving technical telecommunications issues for the Federal government and private sector.
4. Represents the U.S. government on ICANN’s Government Advisory Committee.
5. Participates in ITU-T, ITU-D, ITU-R study group efforts as an expert member of U.S. delegations.
6. Administers infrastructure and public telecommunications facilities grants.
The Office of Federal Patent Licensing within the NTIA encourages federal agencies to evaluate their technical reports and identify those projects with commercial applications. As a result, various products and services have been developed by NTIA to improve industrial access to practical government technology.
Legal Definition list
- National Strike Force Coordination Center
- National Strike Force
- National Stolen Property Act [NSPA]
- National Stolen Art File
- National Special Security Event
- National Telecommunications and Information Administration
- National Trade Data Bank
- National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act
- National Transportation Library
- National Transportation Safety Board
- National Transportation Security Center of Excellence [NTSCOE]
Related Legal Terms
- 21st Century Nanotechnology Research and Development Act of 2003
- 3-A Sanitary Standards and Accepted Practice
- 3-Way Incandescent Lamp
- 480th Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Wing
- 70th Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Wing
- Abandon [Shipping]
- Abandoned Infant
- Abandoned Mark
- Abandoned Mined Lands