National Wildfire Coordinating Group Law and Legal Definition
The National Wildfire Coordinating Group (NWCG) is an operational group that coordinates programs of the participating wildfire management agencies so as to avoid wasteful duplication and to provide a means of constructively working together. NWCGA includes representatives of the USDA Forest Service; the Department of the Interior’s Bureau of Land Management (BLM), National Park Service (NPS), Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA), and the Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS);and State forestry agencies through the National Association of State Foresters.
The NWCG was formed in the U.S. as a result of the aftermath of a major wildfire season in 1970. After a series of meetings in the early 1970s, the NWCG was officially chartered by the Secretaries of the Interior and Agriculture in 1976.
NWCG’s goal is to provide more effective execution of each agency’s fire management program. The group provides a formalized system to agree upon standards of training, equipment, qualifications, and other operational functions.
The following is an example of a state law (Pennsylvania) defining the term:
According to 32 P.S. § 425.4, "National Wildfire Coordinating Group" is an organization comprised of representatives from Federal and State Government agencies which has developed formal standards and programs addressing wildland fire, including training, equipment and operational requirements for the appropriate use of prescribed burns.
Legal Definition list
- National Wilderness Preservation System
- National White Collar Crime Center
- National Weather Service
- National Vulnerability Database
- National Visa Center
- National Wildfire Coordinating Group
- National Wildlife Federation
- National Wildlife Refuge
- National Wildlife Refuge Association [NWRA]
- National Wildlife Refuge System
- National Wildlife Refuge System Administration Act of 1966
Related Legal Terms
- 361st ISR Group
- 5-Percent Group
- Academy for International Conflict Management and Peacebuilding [USIP]
- Access Control List [National Security]
- Access Control Mechanism [National Security]
- Accessible Space [National Security]
- Activity of Multinational Enterprises
- Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate Course [Education]
- Affiliated Group
- Air National Guard