Non Resident Law and Legal Definition
Non resident is a person not residing in a particular place. Most of the countries attribute citizenship on the basis of birth and residence. On birth a person acquires natural citizenship. In order to acquire citizenship a person must prove that s/he is a permanent resident of the country where s/he seeks to acquire citizenship. Non residents are not entitled to acquire citizenship.
In an action at law, a non resident is a person not residing within the jurisdiction of a particular court. A non resident alien is not a resident or citizen
”Non-residents may be required to make a ratable contribution in taxes for the support of the government. That duty is to pay taxes not more onerous in effect than those imposed under like circumstances upon citizens of the State”. [Ward v. Maryland, 79 U.S. 418, 12 Wall. 418, 430, 20 L. Ed. 449 (1871)].
Non-residents should not be subjected to any higher tax or excise than that exacted by law for permanent residents. [Lunding v. New York Tax Appeals Tribunal, 522 U.S. 287, 296-297 (U.S. 1998)].
Legal Definition list
Related Legal Terms
- Ab Abusu Ad Usum Non Valet Consequentia
- Ab Assuestis Non Fit Injuria
- Absoluta Sententia Expositore Non Indiget
- Accessorium Non Ducit Sed Sequitur Suum Principale
- Actus Me Invite Factus Non Est Meus Actus
- Actus Non Facit Reum Nisi Mens Sit Rea
- Ad Quaestiones Facti Non Respondent Judices; Ad Quaestione Legis Non Respondent Juratores
- Administration De Bonis Non
- Administration De Bonis Non Cum Testamento Annexo
- Administrator De Bonis Non [D.B.N]