Office of Community Services [OCS] Law and Legal Definition
The Office of Community Services (OCS) is an agency within the Health and Human Services Department to work in partnership with states, communities, and other agencies to provide a range of human and economic development services and activities which ameliorate the causes and characteristics of poverty and otherwise assist persons in need. The OCS aims to help individuals and families become self-sufficient and to revitalize communities throughout the U.S.
The mission of the Office of Community Services is to work in partnership with states, communities, and other agencies to provide a range of human and economic development services and activities which ameliorate the causes and characteristics of poverty and otherwise assist persons in need.
The OCS aims to:
a. Serve the economic and social needs of welfare recipients and other low-income individuals and families that reside in urban, rural and tribal areas;
b. Provide employment and entrepreneurial opportunities through industrial, business, physical or commercial development;
c. Promote individual self-sufficiency through the creation of new, full-time, permanent jobs;
d. Assist community development corporations and community action agencies in leveraging existing federal, state and local resources for neighborhood revitalization activities;
e. Provide financial and technical resources to state, local, public and private agencies for economic development and related social service support activities;
f. Provide energy assistance to low income households; and
g. Assist communities in protecting the victims of domestic violence as well as preventing the occurrence of domestic violence.
Legal Definition list
- Office of Community Planning and Development [HUD]
- Office of Community Oriented Policing Services
- Office of Communications Business Opportunities [Federal Communications Commission]
- Office of Commercial and Business Affairs [EEB/CBA] [Department of State]
- Office of Civil Rights [Department of State]
- Office of Community Services [OCS]
- Office of Congressional and Intergovernmental Affairs [Department of Labor]
- Office of Congressional and Intergovernmental Relations [HUD]
- Office of Consumer Litigation
- Office of Coroner
- Office of Departmental Equal Employment [HUD]