Office of Safe and Drug-Free Schools Law and Legal Definition
The Office of Safe and Drug-Free Schools (OSDFS) is a component of the U.S. Department of Education that is responsible for assisting drug and violence prevention activities within the U.S. schools. It was established in 2002 pursuant to the provisions of the Safe and Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act. The OSFDS works under the supervision of the Assistant Deputy Secretary who reports to the Secretary and the Deputy Secretary on policy and program administration matters.
The OSFDS is responsible for administering, coordinating, and recommending policies for improving quality and excellence of programs and activities that are designed to:
1. Provide financial assistance for drug and violence prevention activities and activities that promote the health and well being of students in elementary and secondary schools, and institutions of higher education. Activities may be carried out by State and local educational agencies and by other public and private nonprofit organizations.
2. Participate in interagency committees, groups, and partnerships related to drug and violence prevention, coordinating with other federal agencies on issues related to comprehensive school health, and advising the Secretary on the formulation of comprehensive school health education policy.
3. Participate in the formulation and development of ED program policy and legislative proposals and in overall Administration policies related to violence and drug prevention; drafting program regulations.
4. Cooperate with other federal agencies in the development of a national research agenda for drug and violence prevention.
5. Administer the programs of the Education Department, relating to character and civics education.
Legal Definition list
- Office of Refugee Resettlement [ORR]
- Office of Public Engagement [Immigration]
- Office of Public and Indian Housing
- Office of Public Affairs [HUD]
- Office of Public Affairs [Department of Justice]
- Office of Safe and Drug-Free Schools
- Office of Safety Act Implementation
- Office of Science and Technology
- Office of Self-Governance (OSG)
- Office of Small and Disadvantaged Business Utilization [HUD]
- Office of Small and Disadvantaged Business Utilization [USDOJ]
Related Legal Terms
- 21st Century Nanotechnology Research and Development Act of 2003
- 3-A Sanitary Standards and Accepted Practice
- 3-Way Incandescent Lamp
- 480th Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Wing
- 70th Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Wing
- 998 Offer
- ABA-Approved Law Schools
- Abandon [Shipping]
- Abandoned Infant