Rest Law and Legal Definition
Rest is a term that has varied meanings. It can mean
1. Cessation of work exertion, or activity;
2. Mental or emotional tranquility;
3. Termination or absence of motion;
4. The part that is left over after something has been removed; remainder;
5. A device used as a support, for example back rest;
6. To base or ground. For example, I rested my conclusion on that fact;
7. To lie down, especially to sleep. For example, after the hectic day I rested for sometime.
8. In law, it means to cease voluntarily the presentation of evidence in a case. The phrase “rest my case” is used in court rooms by the lawyer for one side to indicate that he or she has finished presenting witnesses and other evidence.