Transformational Leadership Law and Legal Definition
Transformational leadership is a form of leadership that occurs when leaders promote awareness and acceptance of the purposes and the mission of the group and when motivate employees to look beyond their own self-interest for the good of the group. Transformational leaders focus on a collective vision and seek to communicate it effectively to all employees.
Proponents of transformational leadership claim it:
- increases the organization's productivity and customer satisfaction
- generates higher commitment to the organization from their employees
- increases employee trust in management and organizational citizenship behaviours (i.e., extra-role work-related behaviours such as conscientiousness, altruism and sportsmanship that are discretionary, not related to the formal reward system of the organization)
- enhances employee satisfaction with both their job and the leader
- reduces employee stress and increases well-being